Newest Power 24 reveals a Devil-ish twist …
That’s right. Duke has taken the No. 1 spot in a very tight race. The Power 24 here at Bracketville is a reflection of a team’s overall profile along with performance potential. We also use the important “eye test” to evaluate what we see. Check back each Saturday for updates.
Current Update: Saturday, January 24
Next Update: Saturday, January 31
Moving in: Kentucky | Moving out: Michigan
Our Power 24 …
- Duke – Tough call, but the Blue Devils have the profile to match.
- Pittsburgh – We still think the Panthers are tough as nails.
- Connecticut – The Huskies are getting more consistent perimeter play, with their size that presents problems.
- Wake Forest – The Deacons have proven a lot away from home, which means more than the hiccup with Virginia Tech. How Wake handles being a target is up for debate.
- North Carolina – We’re still not seeing any lock-down defense from the Tar Heels, but there’s little wrong with their scoring punch.
- Oklahoma – The Sooners have been very good.
- Syracuse – The drop-off starts here. We know the Orange are solid. What we don’t know is how different they are from any of the next 10 teams.
- Louisville – Even after a good week, we place the Cards here more on potential than substance. All of the damage has been at home.
- Clemson – Tigers are once again at a crossroads. They misfired on the big back-to-back (Wake, UNC). We still think they’re good enough to stay in this range.
- Michigan State – We knew the Spartans’ 11-game winning streak would come to an end – just not at home to Northwestern.
- Georgetown – The Hoyas have played the No. 1 schedule (SOS) in the country. Give them some props.
- Texas – We still think the potential is there for the ‘Horns to become very dangerous in the next month. But the window is shrinking.
- Marquette – Why not higher for the Golden Eagles? Let’s just say we’re not sure how the big boy bumps ahead will pan out.
- Arizona State – The Sun Devils have shown some toughness in tight spots – winning two big road games.
- Xavier – Muskies keep rolling along. Unfortunately, the Atlantic 10 offers more pitfalls than “up” games. Big game at LSU.
- Gonzaga – Gonzaga has two good non-league games left. Win those, and climbing isn’t out of the question. As expected, the WCC has offered little resistance and the wins will pile up.
- Memphis – Remaining road games at Tennessee and Gonzaga will more likely determine how the Tigers’ fare with seeding.
- UCLA – Time to admit that this version of the Bruins is good, but not great. And that doesn’t appear likely to change.
- Purdue – The Boilermakers are starting to gel and look more like the team we anticipated. That and a bunch of road wins gives them a bump.
- Kentucky – Results still pending, the “eye test” says UK is playing very well and we see that continuing.
- Illinois– Defense isn’t a problem for the Illini. Consistent offense and a go-to-guy can be, along with rebounding.
- Notre Dame – Once again the Irish are great at home and not-so-much on the road.
- California – Let’s see how the Bears handle this tough stretch.
- Minnesota – We’re not counting out the Gophers just yet, but like the Illini, scoring doesn’t always come easy.
Knocking on the door: Tennessee, Kansas, Butler, Baylor, West Virginia, Miami-FL, Davidson, Villanova
Thanks for your joining us here at Bracketville – Bracketguy.