Inside the Bracket: Final results for 2014
The NCAA tournament bracket has been released and we’ll all spend a couple of days mulling over picks and upsets in preparation for the opening tip of March Madness. It’s going to be a fun three weeks.
I’ll share a few thoughts the tournament soon. But first, here’s a quick peek at how we fared in 2014:
- Selected 35 of 36 at-large teams correctly (67 of 68 overall).
- 40 teams were listed on their correct seed line.
- 20 teams were listed within one seed line of actual (+/-)
- 7 teams were listed within two seed lines of actual (+/-)
- 60 of the 67 teams selected in our final projection were either listed on the correct seed line or within one spot of their actual seed.
- The one team missed: SMU. The Selection Committee chose NC State for its final spot in the bracket. I’m not at all shocked that SMU was left out. A non-conference strength of schedule around 300 has proven costly for several teams over the years. The primary reason why SMU held its spot: four tournament-level wins and an overall weak bubble pool.
Thanks again for following along. I appreciate your support and feedback. It’s what makes the Blog fun. One of these years I would love to try putting together a “fan” bracket using the same principles as the Committee. Maybe we can get that done.