Quick Takes: South Carolina completes perfect November
A bit under-the-radar, South Carolina completed a perfect November on Saturday by beating Syracuse in Brooklyn. That followed a home win over Michigan the day before Thanksgiving. And an earlier, one-point victory over Monmouth. Which leaves the Gamecocks a perfect 6-0 heading into a week where they host Vermont and Florida International. In other words, it’s been a perfect start for Frank Martin’s crew. December’s non-conference tilts of note include Seton Hall, Memphis, and Georgia.
Additional Quick Takes from Saturday …
- Northern Iowa will be glad to get rid of Xavier. After losing to the Musketeers in Orlando last week, they followed X home to Cincinnati and dropped a much less competitive 22-point game at the Cintas Center.
- In another scheduling quirk, after beating Toledo at home on November 22, Middle Tennessee State beat the Rockets for a second time in four days, this time in Nashville, TN.
- TCU improved to 5-0 after beating Washington. And, yes, ironically, the Horned Frogs play the Huskies again on Wednesday (Nov. 30).
- As for Washington, the final at-large team in our preseason bracket, the Huskies have yet to beat an NCAA-worthy opponent. And UW travels to TCU and Gonzaga next.
- After beating Harvard on Saturday, Massachusetts is 4-1 with a win over Temple, that, at least for now, looks a little better than it did previously.
- Maryland continues to win close games, edging Kansas State by a point Saturday in Brooklyn. The Terps now own a one-point win over Georgetown, a five-point win over Towson, an overtime victory over Richmond, and that one-pointer against K-State.
Enjoy your Sunday. Some good hoops on tap, especially in Orlando and Fullerton, CA.