Quick Takes: Paper Tigers
As we begin conference play, there are some interesting resumes out there. Non-conference schedules range from very good … Florida (4), Kentucky (6), Xavier (13), Louisville (15) … to not as good … Indiana (289), Miami-FL (216), Iowa State (223). In Indiana’s case, the Hoosiers’ number results from a home slate (other than Carolina) that includes four teams ranked below 300 in the RPI and another three below 240. Does that make IU a Paper Tiger? No. Those wins over Kansas and UNC still count, obviously.
But we do have a few potential Paper Tiger resumes out there. The eight examples below include four teams currently IN the bracket and four teams currently OUT of the bracket …
Potential Paper Tigers inside the current bracket:
- West Virginia … 7-0 vs. teams sub-150 in the RPI (9-0 vs. sub -130)
- USC … 7-0 vs. teams sub-150 in the RPI
- Virginia Tech … 7-0 vs. teams sub-150 in the RPI
- Nevada … 7-0 vs. teams sub-150 in the RPI
Potential Paper Tigers outside the current bracket:
- Kansas State … 9-0 vs. teams sub-150 (9 of 12 overall)
- Texas Tech … 9-0 vs. teams sub-150 (9 of 12 overall)
- Rutgers … 9-0 vs. teams sub-150 (9 of 12 overall)
- Wyoming … 7-1 vs. teams sub-150 (8 of 11 overall)
These are not indictments. Rather, they’re an attempt to clarify the uneven nature of non-conference schedules and results. Some teams have tested themselves. Others, not as much. Early records are not always a good way to measure team success. Consider this too … many teams have yet to play a true road game. Those are always telling. Enjoy your holiday hoops.