Quick Takes: Can FSU take it on the road?
Florida State keeps piling up quality wins. After beating Duke in Tallahassee on Tuesday, the Seminoles are 4-0 in the ACC and have seven wins against the Top 50 of the RPI – the most of any team in the nation. The only remaining question is this: Can FSU take it on the road? We ask because, to date, the Seminoles only true road game has been their win at UVA. Next up, a trip to Chapel Hill. There’s also a three-game road swing at the end of January. Navigate those and FSU will be in the No. 1 seed discussion as the calendar flips to February.
No real surprise that Baylor lost at West Virginia. The margin might be a little surprising, but the Mountaineers are a tough matchup, particularly in Morgantown. We’ll see how the Bears respond.
Other Quick Takes from Tuesday …
- Villanova continues to look like a No. 1 seed. Dominate performance against Xavier.
- Arkansas lost at home to Mississippi State – the same Bulldogs outfit that lost to Lehigh and East Tennessee State at home. It’s not a horrible loss, but at home, it raises flags for the Razorbacks whose profile is looking very bubbly.
- Indiana is now 1-3 in the Big Ten after losing at Maryland. IU is also 1-4 in games played outside Bloomington.
- Texas Tech edged Kansas State at home. Both teams have NC SOS issues to deal with, but Tech’s profile inches ahead of K-State’s at the moment. Both teams look good enough to be NCAA teams, but their profiles need help because their NC slates were less than impressive.
- Syracuse is now 0-5 away from the Carrier Dome. If the Orange are to re-emerge as an NCAA contender, they’ll have to win some quality games on the road. On the flip side, Virginia Tech ended its two-game slide by beating Syracuse.
Next bracket update is Thursday. Busy night of hoops on Wednesday. Should be fun.