Quick Takes: Monmouth captures MAAC title
In the spirit of March, congratulations to the Monmouth Hawks, the first NCAA Division 1 men’s basketball team to clinch a regular-season conference title (MAAC). By do so, the Hawks guarantee themselves a post-season berth. They narrowly missed the NCAA tournament last year as an at-large team. Motivation will be high at the MAAC tournament with another Dance card at stake.
Quick Takes from Thursday:
- Michigan grabbed a critical home win against Wisconsin. The Wolverines close with 4 of 5 on the road, where they’ve managed a 1-6 record.
- Wisconsin likely needs to find wins over Maryland and Purdue down the stretch (including B10 tourney) to secure a Top 5 seed. Otherwise, the Badgers’ top-end profile could relegate them to a slightly lesser seed on Selection Sunday.
- Smooth night out West as Gonzaga, Oregon, and Arizona all roll to wins.
Friday night Bracket Games:
- California at Stanford. The Bears are living off a solid Pac-12 record; that could change quickly with a couple of unneeded losses.
- VCU at Richmond. The visiting Rams have beaten one team that would be an at-large contender (Dayton). Much like Cal, the more wins the better.
- Valparaiso at Oakland
- Kent State at Akron
An updated Seed List arrives Saturday morning. Another huge weekend of hoops is upon us, with Selection Sunday quickly approaching.