Quick Takes: Carolina pushing for No. 1 seed
North Carolina is pushing for a No. 1 seed. So is Louisville, for that matter. And Baylor remains firmly in the mix despite four losses in six games, the most recent a two-pointer at home to Kansas in one of Saturday’s best games. If you’re up for Round 3 of KU-Baylor in the Big 12 tournament, raise your hand. I thought so. We also have to keep track of the Pac-12 race.
Bubble Talk debuted on Saturday morning. We’ll update it again next Saturday, if not before. There’ll be a new bracket on Monday, along with a Seed List update.
More Quick Takes from Saturday …
- It’s been a tough stretch for Virginia. The Cavaliers have lost three straight and four of five. This year’s ACC can do that to a team without blinking.
- Florida and Kentucky both picked up SEC road wins. Based upon their preview, the Selection Committee thinks highly of the Gators and Wildcats. Whether the SEC can carry them to the two-line (or more) is less certain. We’ll also see how the Gators keep moving forward after the injury to John Egbunu.
- Texas Tech missed a huge opportunity at West Virginia. A victory would have given the Red Raiders a season sweep of the Mountaineers and further helped their case for at-large inclusion. As it is, TTU is 5-9 in the Big 12, 4-8 vs. Top 100 teams, 1-7 in true road games, and has a 340-ish NC SOS. In other words, there’s work to be done.
- Clemson dropped to 4-10 in the ACC after losing at Miami-FL. The Tigers need a strong close to get back into the Field of 68.
- USC lost by 32 at UCLA Saturday night. Not a great look, but the Trojans should still be okay if they take care of business.
- Four Big East teams are squarely on the bubble heading into the final two weeks of the regular season: Seton Hall, Marquette, Georgetown, and Providence.
- Northwestern fans are breathing a huge sigh of relief after escaping Rutgers at home. A loss to the Scarlet Knights would have made for some Nervous Nellie’s in Evanston.
- Marquette thumped Xavier at home. The Musketeers are now 3-3 without Edwin Sumner. Just something to keep an eye on.
Bubble teams Georgia Tech, Georgetown, Syracuse, and Michigan all play Sunday. There’s never a dull moment along the cutline. Enjoy!